DE Jerome Henderson picks Toledo
Toledo’s fourth commit for the 2019 recruiting cycle comes from Erie, Pa. with defensive end Jerome Henderson’s (McDowell) announcement on Monday.
Proud to be a ROCKET 🚀🚀 pic.twitter.com/ntFPHAUmqp
— Rome Henderson (@Rome_Duck15) May 1, 2018
Henderson’s a big guy at 6-foot-6, 235 pounds. As a defensive end, he’s incredibly versatile and is good about containing the edge. It’ll be fun to see if Toledo keeps him up front or tries to extend him as an outside linebacker. In any case, Henderson’s unranked by 247sports.com, but that’s bound to change with the strength and athleticism Henderson has.
Toledo was the only school to offer Henderson. The Rockets are now up to four commits for the 2019 class with two coming from Ohio, the other two from Pennsylvania.
|Michael Bergern||OT||Avon, Ohio||Avon||0.8399||Ohio|
|Joey Carroll||TE||Toledo, Ohio||St. Frances de Sales||0.7999||Ohio|
|Michael Coleman||CB||Pittsburgh, Pa.||Woodland Hills||Pennsylvania|
|Jerome Henderson||DE||Erie, Pa.||McDowell||Pennsylvania|
Impact Freshman Alert: Devin Haney turning heads
Cornerback Devin Haney’s at least doing well in his first practices with Northern Illinois as an early-enrolled freshman.
NIU freshman Devin Haney had one of his best spring performances Saturday. During full-team sessions, he had three consecutive pass breakups in the red zone, and several more throughout practice. Could definitely see Haney being a contributor next year. pic.twitter.com/Bc8SMKUVkl
— Josh Tolentino (@JCTSports) April 30, 2018
Haney’s a freshman that signed with NIU back in December and enrolled into the university the next month. Haney was a highly-regarded recruit out of Kansas City, Mo. (Park Hill) with a three-star rating by 247sports composite (0.8226) and committed very early in his recruiting process. NIU was the third school to offer him in January of 2017 and committed at the beginning of April.
Sure, there’s a lot of smoke in spring practices, but Haney’s an excellent recruit and it wouldn’t surprise me if he at least saw the field as a true freshman. This is something I’ll have to check back with in July.
Podcast: Drafting the future draft-eligible prospects
Episode 33 of Tuesday Night Lights is live. The main segment of the program was Justin and I drafting guys from the MAC that we think will be/could be drafted next year.
You’ll have to listen to the show to find out how it went, but here’s a list of guys that I’m putting on the way-too-early watchlist, if you will. The MAC looks pretty deep for 2019.
- Joe Anderson, offensive line, Ohio
- Yazeed Atariwa, offensive line, Toledo
- Sam Beal, cornerback, WMU
- Jamauri Bogan, running back, WMU
- D.J. Brown, wide receiver, NIU
- Jamal Davis, defensive end, Akron
- Theo Eboigbe, defensive end, Kent State
- Malik Fountain, linebacker, CMU
- James Gardner, wide receiver, Miami-OH
- James Gilbert, running back, Ball State (would have to leave early)
- Ulysees Gilbert, linebacker, Akron
- Javon Hagan, safety, Ohio (would have to leave early)
- Morgan Hagee, kicker, Ball State
- Khalil Hodge, linebacker, Buffalo
- Tyree Jackson, quarterback, Buffalo (would have to leave early)
- Anthony Johnson, wide receiver, Buffalo
- Diontae Johnson, wide receiver, Toledo (would have to leave early)
- Jon’Vea Johnson, wide receiver, Toledo
- Jim Jones, linebacker, Kent State
- John Keenoy, offensive line, WMU
- Brad Koenig, linebacker, Miami-OH
- Corey Lacanaria, wide receiver, Ball State
- Joe Lowery, offensive line, Ohio
- James O’Hagan, offensive lineman, Buffalo
- Junior McMullen, linebacker, Miami-OH
- Juantez McRae, safety, Kent State
- Scott Miller, wide receiver, BGSU
- Alex Neering, offensive line, CMU
- A.J. Ouellette, running back, Ohio
- Gus Ragland, quarterback, Miami-OH
- Brock Ruble, offensive line, Toledo
- Max Scharping, offensive line, NIU
- Albert Smalls, cornerback, NIU
- Sutton Smith, defensive end, NIU (would have to leave early)
- Dakota Tallman, offensive line, EMU
- Cody Thompson, wide receiver, Toledo
- Nathan Veloz, offensive line, NIU
- Jameson Vest, kicker, Toledo
- Papi White, wide receiver, Ohio
- Louie Zervos, kicker, Ohio (would have to leave early)